Thursday, October 17, 2013

Proud To Be

This month marks the 5th year since I became a US citizen. I can't believe it's been that long. I still remember, there were 634 people who got to swear in as US citizens that day, October 2, 2008 at Arlington Convention Center in Arlington, TX. That only shows that a lot of people really wanted to become US citizens. The place was really crowded. Hubby told me that maybe there were around 1500 people at the venue and that includes the friends and relatives of the candidates for citizenship. When they announced the candidates by country, we had to stand and waved the little US flag that they gave us. The candidates were from 89 different countries and Mexicans were the majority, followed by the Arabs and Vietnamese. There were only 5 of us who are Filipinos.

There was a short program and hubby was my photographer. He also took a few short videos. BTW, Sherry, my step-daughter went with us and I really appreciate her presence. When it's time for us to take the Oath Of Allegiance to the United States Of America, I had mix emotions. I was sad because I was renouncing my native country to take a new identity. On the other hand, I was happy because after waiting for 8 months since I filed my application for naturalization, finally I am now a naturalized American. I love the US. I never thought I would become a citizen in this country when I was young. It was my dream to see this country but God gave me more than what I asked for. "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us," Ephesians 3:20 KJV. 

It's been 5 years since I became a US citizen. I am still a Filipino and I love my country. I applied for dual citizenship 4 years ago. I'm proud to be a Fil-AM!





 



13 comments:

Eileen said...

Congratulations! I am happy that you opted for dual citizenship too. Never can take away the Filipino spirit wherever in the world they may be.

Eileen said...

I am happy that you opted to apply for dual citizenship too. The Filipino culture is in itself unique and could never be taken away from its people regardless of where they are in the world.

Nova said...

wow...that was a long time and yes, you can't tell that time is faster than its used too..congratulations to finally becoming a US citz.

mhie said...

Congrats, I am with you. I prefer to be a dual citizen though am not yet a US citizen I just keep delaying it.

Dhemz said...

wow, way to go titaLiz...am just wondering how to apply for dual citizenship...I want to apply!

betchai said...

you were beaming with joy and happiness that day, Lisa, I love your smiles in those pics, and love your dress too. yes, no one could take our love for our country away.

MaryJane Tauyan said...

great photos!! congratulations! We just move in here in malaysia about a year ago and we have to wait for couple of years I think to get a PR. I am soon to apply citizenship in australia as well. congrats again sis! x0~ www.tauyanm.com

jennyL said...

congrats!! looks like you are very happy as the photos say it all. it's good that you're still Filipino bec. of that dual citiz...

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow that's a lot! During my oath taking, we were only like 15 or twenty.

Congratulations ate. I am thinking of applying for dual citizenship as well.

Marie said...

Yay! That's something you have to be proud of! :) Congratulations po!

Jonas Labagala said...

Good thing that you applied for dual citizenship! It means that you still love being a Filipino and be proud of it!

You always have to look where you came from. :)

Juliana said...

Same here Manang. I would not have gone for naturalization if dual citizenship was not made into law. I'm a proud Fil-Am.

Lainy said...

I am very proud of you too, Ate Lis! Reacquiring your Filipino citizenship only proves the true Filipino spirit in you.

Congrats! I believe 2014 is your 6th year now as a US citizen? ;-)